About This Blog

Dare to Dissemble is my little online ranting place, where I air my thoughts about the ridiculous state of affairs at the University of Alberta--a formerly strong public institution with tons of potential being driven into the ground by inept governance and irresponsible government funding policies. Comments are welcome, but not expected. Like most blogs on the internet, this one languishes in obscurity and is read for the most part by its proprietor.

Monday, October 24, 2011

Is That All We Are?

A little bit off-topic:  last night I went to see William Shatner at the Shaw Centre.  In general, it was a very good show, highlighting his fascinating life-story and his irrepressible can-do approach to everything.  In short, he is never afraid to try something and very publicly fall on his face.  He is also a very funny man.

What concerns me a little bit is the way he chose to end the show.  He had just concluded a discussion of his spoken word "musical" career, and wound things up with a spoken word rendition of Stompin' Tom Connors' "The Hockey Song," encouraging the audience to sing/speak along.  I guess I saw this as a fairly dismissive sort of pandering:  "Hockey is what these people care the most about, so finish up on a high note."

This show was part of a Canadian tour that will end up eventually in Montréal, and I am assuming he is going to end each show this way (though perhaps not always with an Oilers sweater with "Shatner" written on it).  And maybe it works--a lot of people there did seem to enjoy it.  However, I find myself cringing every time someone feeds the "Canadians are crazy for hockey" stereotype.  To me, it seems facile and vaguely dismissive, even when it originates from well-meaning Canadians.  Another Shatner tie-in:  I found the closing ceremonies for the 2010 Vancouver Olympics painfully embarrassing.

Maybe I'm just over-sensitive, and this is a harmless notion, but to me it seems to infantilize trivialize Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment