About This Blog

Dare to Dissemble is my little online ranting place, where I air my thoughts about the ridiculous state of affairs at the University of Alberta--a formerly strong public institution with tons of potential being driven into the ground by inept governance and irresponsible government funding policies. Comments are welcome, but not expected. Like most blogs on the internet, this one languishes in obscurity and is read for the most part by its proprietor.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Book of Possible Interest

Just recently came across The Fall of the Faculty:  The Rise of the All-Administrative University and Why It Matters by Benjamim Ginsberg.  This book would appear to address the trend that we have all been observing towards a permanent administrative class and the resulting corporatization of universities.  Certainly, it is highly relevant to current doings at the U of A.  I plan to order and read it, but I'm wondering if anyone (Hello!  Anyone there?) is already familiar with it.

5 comments:

  1. Well, I'm here. Haven't read the book, but I see that we're getting yet another VP position. WTF?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and I am very interested to know more about the finances of that hire. Will it be paid for out of our limited development accounts, or out of our limited operating grant? In either case, it's less money to keep the University running. I can just hear the insouciant retort from Central: "It takes money to make money, tra la la."

    ReplyDelete
  3. No need to buy the book, you can YouTube the author and pretty much figure out where he stands on this matter. I find myself getting depressed and tired of agreeing with him :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe it's just seasonal affective disorder as the days grow short, Massimo.

    But he has a good point that in that video that we faculty need to "study" the administration and determine what they're not doing well. But what body would do it? GFC is essentially run by the Provost and the President. Could AASUA?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiya! I am very interested in if you have a lot of visitors of this journal?

    ReplyDelete