About This Blog

Dare to Dissemble is my little online ranting place, where I air my thoughts about the ridiculous state of affairs at the University of Alberta--a formerly strong public institution with tons of potential being driven into the ground by inept governance and irresponsible government funding policies. Comments are welcome, but not expected. Like most blogs on the internet, this one languishes in obscurity and is read for the most part by its proprietor.

Friday, November 9, 2012

Movie of the Week: American Beauty

I'm hoping to see Skyfall this weekend.  In general, I have been happy with the Daniel Craig era of the James Bond films, but what really has me intrigued is the fact that Sam Mendes directed this latest one.  I consider him to be a talented an thought-provoking director.  Revolutionary Road was a little hard to take, though that was more about the subject matter than the way it was filmed. On the other hand, I really loved Road to Perdition.

Since I haven't seen Skyfall yet, I'll highlight a different Sam Mendes film, and one of my top ten all-time favourites, for sure:  American Beauty.  This was an extremely well-received film when it came out, and in my opinion deservedly so.  However, there seems to have been a certain amount of revisionism since then, and its Rotten Tomatoes score currently sits at only 88%.  I consider that to be a travesty--this movie has everything:  sharp writing, a great directorial debut, fantastic acting, an amazing score by Thomas Newman, and most of all, some really important messages.  I like to periodically view the final scene when I find myself in need of some perspective.  How can you not be affected by the things Kevin Spacey says:  "I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to me...but it's hard to stay mad, when there's so much beauty in the world.  Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much, and my heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst.  An then, I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life."

Here's that final scene:

No comments:

Post a Comment