About This Blog

Dare to Dissemble is my little online ranting place, where I air my thoughts about the ridiculous state of affairs at the University of Alberta--a formerly strong public institution with tons of potential being driven into the ground by inept governance and irresponsible government funding policies. Comments are welcome, but not expected. Like most blogs on the internet, this one languishes in obscurity and is read for the most part by its proprietor.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Know Your Enemy

Fascinating stream of comments on Jeremy's blog concerning the Gwyn Morgan gong show yesterday.  I agree with the basic contention of commenter Vox Clamantis, who posits the theory that this particular operation was meant as a wake-up call to a complacent professoriate who do not understand the need to actively counter the distortions of tools like Morgan whose wealth has given them the bully pulpit to bash liberal education.  While I also agree with other commenters that our senior administration should be playing a more active role in mounting such a defense, there is no doubt that we need to pick up our game.

Here's RATM to get your juices flowing:

4 comments:

  1. I may be idealistic and naive, but I don't think we should waste our time responding. We have the huge advantage that, when all is said and done, we are the ones who interact with the students -- not Morgan, not the president, not the provost.
    Our goal is to earn their respect, if ten years from now they look back and see the value of having spent these four years here, I am hoping that they will be the ones mounting the defence of our category. Maybe it's an illusion but, I am thinking that if that does not work, nothing else will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't disagree with you Massimo. Students should always be our principal constituency when it comes to selling the value of the academy. However, bear in mind that while students of today may still be strong supporters of advanced education in future years, decisions are being made today that could greatly erode the quality of our universities before ten years elapse. Some of the people making those decisions have university educations, others not so much. And in either case, they can be swayed by a pompous jackass from the oilpatch who loudly asserts his opinion as truth with little or no supporting evidence, simply because he is decisive and wealthy. If we cede the field of battle to his ilk, we have only ourselves to blame when "corporate" solutions continue to be imposed on advance education.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, things are really going off the rails over at Whither the U of A! I posted a comment challenging Jeremy's position, and he took great offense, even calling me out for not using my real name. Then, when I replied with another comment Friday night saying I was sorry for offending him, but also pointing out the implications of his criticism of my pseudonym, he sat on the comment and did not publish it (as of Saturday morning, although there are other Saturday morning comments on the blog). Not sure who reads this blog (maybe I'm talking to a blank wall), but I have to say I am questioning Jeremy's ability to remain objective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That seems to be an explosive topic, Biped. Still, I would remind you of all the good Whither has done over the last couple of years, bringing issues forward and giving people a forum to discuss their concerns.

    ReplyDelete