About This Blog

Dare to Dissemble is my little online ranting place, where I air my thoughts about the ridiculous state of affairs at the University of Alberta--a formerly strong public institution with tons of potential being driven into the ground by inept governance and irresponsible government funding policies. Comments are welcome, but not expected. Like most blogs on the internet, this one languishes in obscurity and is read for the most part by its proprietor.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Canadian University Debt Load

Here's a recent piece from Maclean's OnCampus describing how the average graduating Canadian student actually owes more than his/her US counterpart.  It comes down to the pathetic level of student aid that is available here.  Having been educated down south, and having supported a dependent attending a Canadian university, I have to agree that we are doing a crap job of funding scholarships for our undergraduate students.

I also wonder if there is less expectation here in Canada for parents to cover their children's postsecondary costs?  I doubt it, as my understanding is that most students do not qualify for student loans on the expectation that their parents will pay for things.  Do others have different experiences?

No comments:

Post a Comment