About This Blog

Dare to Dissemble is my little online ranting place, where I air my thoughts about the ridiculous state of affairs at the University of Alberta--a formerly strong public institution with tons of potential being driven into the ground by inept governance and irresponsible government funding policies. Comments are welcome, but not expected. Like most blogs on the internet, this one languishes in obscurity and is read for the most part by its proprietor.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Song of the Week: Love Alive

So I went to see Heart at the Jube on Monday night, and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised to see how well they did, considering that the Wilson sisters are 62 and 59!  They put on an enthusiastic and high quality show, not surprisingly playing most of their biggest hits, along with a few lesser songs of recent vintage.  For me, perhaps the high point was when they chose to include the song "Love Alive" from their second album, Little Queen.  It's one of my favourites.  Here is a recent performance from 2011 that is quite similar to what I saw:


One of Heart's longtime specialties is their outstanding covers of Led Zeppelin songs.  They closed this concert with a dead-on version of "Misty Mountain Hop" that was just awesome.  Below is another great cover, just by the two sisters, of another song from the Runes and Tunes album, "The Battle of Evermore":



I have to confess to having had a bit of a crush on Nancy Wilson since I was in my teens:  she is a truly great guitarist and songwriter and also a very beautiful woman.  Here's her doing the acoustic intro to "Crazy On You":


You gotta love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment