About This Blog

Dare to Dissemble is my little online ranting place, where I air my thoughts about the ridiculous state of affairs at the University of Alberta--a formerly strong public institution with tons of potential being driven into the ground by inept governance and irresponsible government funding policies. Comments are welcome, but not expected. Like most blogs on the internet, this one languishes in obscurity and is read for the most part by its proprietor.

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Late Movie Friday: The Perks of Being a Wallflower

I barely heard about The Perks of Being a Wallflower when it came out last fall.  I don't think that the studio marketed it very aggressively.  It's too bad, because it's a great film.  I watched it last night on pay-per-view, and then woke up in the middle of the night and could not get back to sleep as my mind raced to mull over the plot.  I found this to be a highly affecting movie, with plausible characters and situations, and deeply emotional themes.

Based on a book written by Stephen Chbosky, and then adapted and directed by him as well, this film considered the difficult life of a brilliant and highly sensitive boy facing isolation and depression in his freshman year of high school.  The performances were uniformly great, and I give this movie my unreserved recommendation.

Here's the trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment