About This Blog

Dare to Dissemble is my little online ranting place, where I air my thoughts about the ridiculous state of affairs at the University of Alberta--a formerly strong public institution with tons of potential being driven into the ground by inept governance and irresponsible government funding policies. Comments are welcome, but not expected. Like most blogs on the internet, this one languishes in obscurity and is read for the most part by its proprietor.

Friday, January 11, 2013

Movie Friday: Les Misérables

So, I saw Les Mis in the theatre over Christmas Break.  Since then, it has received 4 Golden Globe nominations, 9 BAFTA nominations and 8 Academy Award nominations, and lots of recognition from various film critic societies.  In particular, Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway have been singled out for praise, and it is mostly deserved.  That said, the two who most impressed me were Samantha Barks as Éponine and Aaron Tveit as Enjolras.

In any case, I do not think this was a great film, and I frankly do not understand how it ended up nominated for the Best Picture Oscar, nor with a total of 8 nominations tying it for third behind Lincoln and The Life of Pi (neither of which I have seen yet).  It is telling that Tom Hooper was not nominated for Best Director.

All in all, it was worth seeing, but it will not go down as one of the best movies I saw in the last year.  Here's the trailer:


No comments:

Post a Comment