About This Blog

Dare to Dissemble is my little online ranting place, where I air my thoughts about the ridiculous state of affairs at the University of Alberta--a formerly strong public institution with tons of potential being driven into the ground by inept governance and irresponsible government funding policies. Comments are welcome, but not expected. Like most blogs on the internet, this one languishes in obscurity and is read for the most part by its proprietor.

Friday, January 25, 2013

Movie Friday: Dreddful

I posted on Dredd when it first came out, but did not get around to seeing it in the theatre.  I finally saw it last weekend, and hereby pronounce it to be entertaining dross.  It held my attention with a combination of interesting production design, occasionally flashy cinematography, and a minimalist script with several pithy exchanges.  Karl Urban was amusing, though one never sees anything except the bottom half of his face...interesting decision, though I guess  maybe true to the original comic.  Olivia Thirlby and Lena Headley were also good.

What it lacked was any particular depth.  Another action picture from 2012 that was at least as entertaining was The Cabin in the Woods, but that one was full of clever concepts that stayed with me long after I had watched it.  For that matter, even Looper had more going on underneath.  So, fun movie but nothing special.

Update (Jan 26):  this is funny, and the timing is perfect re this post from yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment