About This Blog

Dare to Dissemble is my little online ranting place, where I air my thoughts about the ridiculous state of affairs at the University of Alberta--a formerly strong public institution with tons of potential being driven into the ground by inept governance and irresponsible government funding policies. Comments are welcome, but not expected. Like most blogs on the internet, this one languishes in obscurity and is read for the most part by its proprietor.

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Fraud Investigation at York

Here's an intriguing report on MacLean's On Campus about a fraud investigation going on at York resulting from a forensic accounting investigation.  No details have been provided regarding what unit(s) was/were involved.

4 comments:

  1. I doubt that would fly at the UofA with Alberta's culture of winking at high value white collar fraud and swindling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the same thing crossed my mind. I'm really eager to find out at what level the alleged fraud took place. It is not a foregone conclusion that administration types were implicated. One can think back to the case a few years ago in Mech Eng where the rising star professor was buying plasma TVs and wheels for his sports car with NSERC money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, if I read the article correctly and that the investigation has to do with the letting of construction and related contracts, UAlberta had its own scandal of this sort in, as I recall, the late 90's. I recollect that the police were involved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, I found the G&M article. Yes, it looks as if a "senior official" paid out funds for "work" that was never done.

    ReplyDelete