About This Blog

Dare to Dissemble is my little online ranting place, where I air my thoughts about the ridiculous state of affairs at the University of Alberta--a formerly strong public institution with tons of potential being driven into the ground by inept governance and irresponsible government funding policies. Comments are welcome, but not expected. Like most blogs on the internet, this one languishes in obscurity and is read for the most part by its proprietor.

Friday, August 23, 2013

Movie Friday: Stories We Tell

I've been a big fan of Sarah Polley since I saw her in Atom Egoyan's The Sweet Hereafter, a film that currently holds a Rotten Tomatoes rating of 100%.  Her directorial debut was the brilliant Away from Her, based on the Alice Munroe short story The Bear Came Over the Mountain.  I also have utter respect for her commitment to political causes, and her rejection of the traditional Hollywood existence in favour of remaining based in Canada.

This year, she released a fascinating documentary called Stories We Tell.  The film concerns the mystery of her real parentage.  I don't want to go into too much detail--it's better to watch the movie and let the story evolve organically.  It's extremely well done (currently 95% at Rotten Tomatoes), and I recommend it without reservation.

Here's the trailer:


No comments:

Post a Comment