About This Blog

Dare to Dissemble is my little online ranting place, where I air my thoughts about the ridiculous state of affairs at the University of Alberta--a formerly strong public institution with tons of potential being driven into the ground by inept governance and irresponsible government funding policies. Comments are welcome, but not expected. Like most blogs on the internet, this one languishes in obscurity and is read for the most part by its proprietor.

Friday, August 31, 2012

Movie Friday: The Dark Knight Rises

After 7 weeks, The Dark Knight Rises is still in the box office top five, a fairly impressive run.  Furthermore, Rotten Tomatoes says it has a 92% favorability rating among the audience (87% with critics).  I saw it during the first weekend, and I was underwhelmed.  Perhaps I was expecting too much, after the first two films, which were excellent.  Also, I have high regard for Tom Hardy, who played the main antagonist, Bane.  But Bane was something of a mixed bag (see below).

Part of the problem is a plot with some serious holes in it.  Having all of NYC's cops march into the sewers was a highly improbable scenario.  Also, a rather severe twist near the end seemed a bit gratuitous.  Finally, the need to rework Bane's voice to make it more understandable left him sounding (according to my son) like a cross between an English butler Darth Vader and the Monopoly Guy.  Listen for yourself:


No comments:

Post a Comment