About This Blog

Dare to Dissemble is my little online ranting place, where I air my thoughts about the ridiculous state of affairs at the University of Alberta--a formerly strong public institution with tons of potential being driven into the ground by inept governance and irresponsible government funding policies. Comments are welcome, but not expected. Like most blogs on the internet, this one languishes in obscurity and is read for the most part by its proprietor.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Elevator Use

So, this morning I rode the elevator in my building to the top floor.  On the ground floor, an undergraduate student, obviously in perfect health, got on and proceeded to hit the button to go up one floor.  (Notably, the elevators are in a large, open stairwell, so taking the stairs would consist of merely turning around from the elevator bank and walking up 22 steps...something I do many times per day.)  The question that plagues me in these situations is not so much why an able-bodied student would take the elevator up one floor (or for that matter, DOWN one floor, which is also common).  The answer is laziness.  No, what I wonder is whether these students have lost all capability of feeling embarrassment.  When I was an undergraduate, I would NEVER have considered doing something like that, and I don't recall seeing many of my peers do so either.  Apart from not wanting to wait for the elevator, I would have worried about looking totally lame to my friends and coworkers.  Are the two generations really that different in how they manage their image?  It appears so.

No comments:

Post a Comment