About This Blog

Dare to Dissemble is my little online ranting place, where I air my thoughts about the ridiculous state of affairs at the University of Alberta--a formerly strong public institution with tons of potential being driven into the ground by inept governance and irresponsible government funding policies. Comments are welcome, but not expected. Like most blogs on the internet, this one languishes in obscurity and is read for the most part by its proprietor.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

First Things First

Here at the University of Alberta, we're living through some nerve-rattling times.  We have an administration that seems to alternate between ham-handed authoritarianism and duplicitous platitudes, while undoubtedly being leaned on by a borderline inept government thrown into chaos by the abdication of the Premier after a surprise attack by a fifth column on the right flank.  For academic staff, their salary for the next three years is under negotiation, and despite the U of A's mediocre compensation relative to other major universities in Canada, there is reason to believe that staff will be asked to settle for 0% cost of living increases at a time when the inflation rate in Alberta approaches 3%, though a news blackout on the negotiation means they won't find out for sure until the proposal is up for vote.  Many of us who work at the University feel powerless and completely unappreciated.

It is with this situation in mind that I have decided to create this blog--mainly as a forum for my own ramblings, but also as an opportunity for others to share their concerns or tidbits of information.  In this respect, I am inspired by Jeremy Richards' excellent blog Whither the U of A?  This is not meant to duplicate his effort, but perhaps provide an alternative forum, especially for those who are impatient about commenting.  While I completely understand Jeremy's position on comment moderation, I am reflexively free speech in my thinking, and with the veil of partial anonymity accorded by blogger, I will permit people to comment without prior inspection.  However, please note that I will always reserve the right to delete any comment that I consider defamatory or offensive.

I hope that some will choose to visit this nascent site, and offer up their insights to the rest of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment